spoon

Recent Recipes

All that and a Bag of Potatoes

0

Category :

For those of you that don't know, I am on a mission to lose some ell-bees (lbs.).  I quit smoking over a year ago and as a result of have added about 15 pounds of love. While my husband loves me unconditionally, I am not the long, lean woman that I once was and it kills me.  I have started a much stricter eating program and have finally incorporated some working out into the program.

Despite the need to be more conscience, I feel that I need to maintain some sense of 'normalcy' in order to succeed.  Potatoes and cheese are my weaknesses and but I am still able to eat them all, to a different degree and in moderation.  Tonight I made a "traditional" meat and potatoes meal...with a spin.

Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

8 oz uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)   

12 oz lean ground turkey   

1 medium onion(s), chopped   

1/2 cup(s) uncooked old fashioned oats   
8 oz canned tomato sauce   
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 large egg white(s), beaten slightly   

1/4 tsp table salt   

1/4 tsp black pepper  
1/4 tsp garlic powder  

1/2 c. seasoned bread crumbs



1/2 c. low-fat cheese (cheddar or Mexican blend)









Preheat oven to 350.  Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Spray loaf pan with non-stick spray.  Place mix into loaf pan.  Bake for 1 hour.




Mashed Potatoes
4 large potato(es)   

1/4 cup(s) fat-free skim milk   

1/4 cup(s) plain fat-free yogurt   
1/4 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream   

1 Tbsp chives, minced   
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste   
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste   
1 Tbsp. reduced fat butter or butter substitute
1 Tbsp. reduced fat cream cheese

Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Cover with salted water and bring to the boil. Cook until tender when pierced by a knife. Remove from heat and drain.

Mash potatoes. Combine with milk, yogurt, sour cream and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Do not overbeat or potatoes will become gummy.
I have to say, I found this meal extremely satisfying.  I was definitely nervous about the oats in the meatloaf, but you don't even taste them!  And the mashed potatoes were pretty darn close to the family stand-by.  I mean, you definitely notice the reduction of fat, but isn't that the point?!  I will definitely make this again and might get a little bit more creative with the meatloaf next time (add some peppers, Parmesan cheese, etc.).  I hope you enjoy!

Ahhhh...food therapy complete!
 

0 comments: