spoon

Recent Recipes

I'd Like Some Beer with my Chicken

2

Category :

Sorry for the lapse in posting. The week leading up to Easter has been jam packed! Between work, errands, golf and meeting Giada, I have been a busy girl!

Yep, when I say Giada, I mean Giada DiLaurentiis. Vicki and I waited in line for 2 1/2 hours to get our copy of her newest cook book signed, along with 1,856 soccer moms. I swear, there were more strollers in that line than cowboys is Texas...it was unbelievable. But, all in all it was worth it. I gave her a "business card" with my blog info on it and got to talk to her about it for a quick 7 seconds. I am convinced that she was super impressed and will become a follower and take my blog to the next level. :) As Mark says, next thing you know we will be getting movie offers and making millions...oh wait...they have already done that...whomp, whomp...

Well, despite the fact that I am sure that my blog will be limited to likes of my closest friends and family, I am still committed to providing recipes that taste great. Tonight was beer can chicken, salad and left-over twice baked potatoes from Easter. For anyone that knows me, serving leftovers is a big step for me...I hate them. I insist on putting them all in pretty little plastic boxes with blue lids, but I still hate them. I never eat them and usually wait 5-7 days before I purge them into the big silver box. But tonight the fridge was looking bare and they made a fab accompaniment to my meal.

Beer Can Chicken
1 - 5-6 lb. roaster chicken
1 can beer
1 tsp. truffle oil
1 tbsp. Montreal Seasoning
1 tbsp. garlic powder
pepper

Preheat 1-side of the grill on med-high. You only need 1/2 a can of beer for this recipe. I don't care what you do with it, but "get rid" of 1/2. I used a beer that I drink (Miller Lite) but people say that the more flavor the more flavor the beer, the better. Add truffle oil, Montreal, garlic and pepper to beer. Coat chicken with the same ingredients. Remove giblets from roast. Place roast on can. (see photo). Place chicken on grill in indirect heat (opposite of flame). Let cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. or until 165 degrees. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and serve.


You have so much flexibility with this recipe. Try a different beer, try a different rub/spice mix. You can cook on the grill or cook in the oven on 375. Just have fun and use the technique...you can do anything and the chicken will be great!!!

Twice Baked Potatoes (these were leftovers from Easter dinner but a recipe worth sharing...totally amazing!)

5-6 baking potatoes
1 block cream cheese
1 block medium cheddar cheese (shredded)
1 lb. bacon - diced and browned over medium-high head (reserve grease)
1 bunch green onions
salt
pepper
garlic powder

Bake potatoes on 400 for 45 mins-1 hr. Pinch fore doneness - should be tender to squeeze. Cut potatoes in half and scoop out insides. Try to keep skins intact as much as possible. Add to large mixing bowl. Add cream cheese, cheddar cheese and bacon (including drippings), green onions and salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Mix well. When fully incorporated spoon mixture back into left over baked potato skins. Return to 375 degree oven for 25 mins (if still warm) and up to 1 hr if directly from fridge. You can make these 1-2 days ahead and bake when ready to serve.

This dinner was a great change. With this fabulous weather, we were able to sit outside and hang out while dinner cooked...a welcome change from the standard kitchen. I encourage anyone to try this recipe...so yummy and super easy....just make sure to leave yourself the time.

ahhh...food therapy complete.

2 comments:

I'm going to try this one.

In Texas we call this a Drunk Chicken!