spoon

Recent Recipes

Kiss My Grits (with Shrimp)

0

Category :




As a girl growing up in the Northeast, I never really embraced the Southern breakfast staple...grits. As a matter of fact, for most of my life I found them rather tasteless and boring...not to mention, the texture of paste. With all of that said, Matt was rather surprised when I ordered Shrimp & Grits for brunch at Hattie's in Dallas.

I don't know what it was, but when I saw them on the table next to me, I was captivated. It was not long before I realized that I had lived my previous 28 years in the dark. I was missing out on a decadent, silky, corn-based food that when topped with shrimp became a delicacy. Seriously...it was amazing. So amazing that I wanted it again and again. I had to replicate it...with some twists of course.

I first made this recipe over a year ago but recently brushed it off to see if it was as good as I remember...it was. It was awesome. It is a little timely to put together, but well worth the wait.

Shrimp & Grits (well...Risotto)

  • 1 lb large shrimp - peeled and deveined
  • 1 bunch green onions
  • 2 cloves garlic - smashed
  • 1 shallot
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
  • 5-6 shakes Tabasco
  • 2 c. chicken stock

Saute first 4 ingredients in butter over medium heat. When soft, add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, Tabasco & chicken stock to sauce pan. Reduce by half. When reduced, spoon half of the mixture into food processor and add back. Add shrimp 5-7 minutes prior to serving. Serve over parmesan risotto.

Parmesan Risotto

  • 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
  • 1 cup dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a simmer and keep warm over low heat. In a separate medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until it is well coated with the butter and starts to turn translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and simmer gently until all the liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Ladle 1/2 cup of the warm broth into the rice mixture and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the broth is absorbed. Repeat, adding 1/2 cup of broth at a time, until the rice is cooked through but still firm, 20 to 25 minutes total. Add the remaining butter and the salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of Parmesan. Stir to incorporate. Adjust seasoning with more salt to taste. Serve immediately, topping with additional Parmesan.

The flavor that comes together in this sauce is so full and well rounded. It has just a touch of heat making it even more interesting. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!

Ahhh...food therapy complete.

0 comments: