spoon

Recent Recipes

What's Your Beef?! (stuffed with cheese)

0

Category :




Cheeseburgers are the all American food. I mean, what is better than a warm night and a burger right off the grill? But I find that burgers can be boring...ground beef (or turkey), mixed with a few spices and put on a bun. Anyone who has read my blog can realize that while I do like traditional food, I yearn to put a creative spin on things. Some things are not meant to be adapted, like a good Filet Mignon, but come on people, ground beef is not filet.

I know that I have a tendency to over-explore the fridge (is 8 times a day excessive?), but sometimes opening that door leads to brilliance. OK, maybe not brilliance but good ideas for sure. This one was awesome. Matt and I both loved it and kept wanting to eat more. I will definitely make this one again...let me know what you think!

Italian Style Stuffed Cheeseburgers
1 lb ground beef (85/15)
1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1-2 pinches crushed red pepper
4-5 balls of marinated mozzarella cheese (small size)
6 slices American cheese (or provolone)

Preheat grill to medium. Mix everything except mozzarella in a bowl until well incorporated. Split meat into 6 even pieces - set aside 3 and make 3 into thin patties. Cut the mozzarella in thin slices. Place 3-4 slices on the patties. Make the remaining beef into 3 more patties. Place on top of the mozzarella topped patties. Pinch the sides together until well sealed. Grill for 5-6 minutes a side for medium - add cheese on top during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Serve on toasted buns (English muffins are awesome too!). Top with basil mayo (recipe below) and toppings of your choice.

Sometimes the best way to make something unique with one simple addition. This basil mayo is quick, easy and so yummy! The combo of the ground beef, Italian seasoning and fresh basil mayo really takes it all to the next level.

Basil Mayo
1/3 c. mayo (use something good like Hellman's)
10-12 leaves of fresh basil
1 tsp. of the oil from the marinated mozzarella (this is a great way to add tons of flavor - there are so many spices to take advantage of!)
fresh pepper

Place all ingredients in mini food processor and pulse until well incorporated. Add pepper to taste.

By the way, the Cuisinart mini-prep is the best! It's inexpensive and perfect for dips, aiolis, salad dressings, etc. I love it!

Usually I use large tomatoes on the vine for my Caprese salad, but I used some heirloom cherry tomatoes (leftover from Easter), marinated mozzarella and basil and it really made the salad great.

Tomato Mozzarella Salad
Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes (cut in half)
Marinated Mozzarella Balls (cut in quarters)
2 Tbsp. oil from the marinated mozzarella
6-8 basil leaves (sliced thin)
Salt & Pepper


I definitely carried the Italian theme throughout this meal but even with the same ingredients across courses, it all worked. I said it before and I will say it again...I will definitely make this combo again. So good!

Ahhhh...food therapy complete....


0 comments: