spoon

Recent Recipes

"Chuy" on This!

0

Category : , ,



For those of you that haven't been lucky enough to visit or live in Dallas, Chuy's is quite possibly the best Tex-Mex restaurant on the planet. Between the queso, jalapeno ranch dressing, chuychangas and homemade tortillas, it is a fat girl's dream...well, it's this fat girl's dream. I find my love for tex-mex rather strange considering that the only "mexican" I grew up with was fajitas and tacos (seasoned with a packet from a box), but this love is deep. I mean, really deep. I am constantly trying to replicate my favorite tex-mex meals. And with my birthday coming up, I really think that the best gift in the world would be the aforementioned combo from Chuy's.

Realizing that is an impossibility, I was determined to create a meal that would make even the biggest Tex-Mex fan proud. Considering that I am the only Tex-Mex lover in the house, I would say the mission was accomplished.

Chicken Enchiladas served with blue chips and a side of Chuy's Jalapeno Ranch (well, a close adaptation anyway)....

Chicken Enchiladas
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
1 tbsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt
pepper
10 small flour tortillas (most enchiladas are made with corn tortillas, but I don't really like them, so use whichever you prefer)
16 oz. sour cream (separated into 2 - 8 oz portions)
1 bunch green onions - sliced (use white & green part)
2 - 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
2 c. Mexican mixed cheese (separated into 2 - 1 c. portions)
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
2 c. chicken stock

Drizzle preheated skillet with vegetable oil over med-high heat. Add chicken, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook until all sides are brown, about 7-10 mins. Meanwhile preheat oven to 375 degrees and mix sour cream, green onions, chilies & cheese. Set aside. When chicken is done cooking, add chicken to sour cream mixture, stir. Spray a pyrex baking dish with nonstick spray. Place 1 tortilla on cutting board. Place a portion of the chicken mixture in a line on the tortilla. Roll tightly and place in baking sheet, seem side down. Continue until all 10 tortillas are rolled.

In another skillet (I cleaned out the one I previously used and re-used it) melt 1/4 c. of butter over medium heat. When melted, add 1/4 c. of flour. Stir constantly until smooth. Add in 2 c. chicken stock, 8 oz. of sour cream & can of chopped green chilies. Continue to stir until thick. When thick and creamy, pour over the top of the rolled enchiladas.

Bake for 20 mins. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve while hot.

Chuy's Jalapeno Ranch
I have to say this was close but not quite...I am going to work on it some more and will let you know how I make out. Either way, it's still a delicious dip or salad topper!

1 quart mayonnaise
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped jalapeno
1 cup green tomatillo sauce
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
3 (1 ounce) packets dry ranch dressing mix

Mix first 5 ingredients in a blender until smooth. Stir in ranch mix with a whisk. Chill and serve (I ate with Blue corn tortilla chips)

This menu definitely cured my immediate need for all things Tex-Mex but I have to admit, it just isn't the same. Honestly it just reaffirmed my need to plan a trip back to the land of warm nights, flat lands, southern drawls and Chuy's y'all!

Ahhh...food therapy complete.

0 comments: