spoon

Recent Recipes

Rainy Day Dinner

0

Category : , ,



I have been pretty remiss in my postings over the last week. Between working and babysitting an 18 mo. old for 2 days, I have been beat. I am also coming to terms with the fact that I am going to be 30 in 48 hours, so I had to prove to myself that I could drink like at 21 year old....well...I can't. And to top it off, my 62 year old father is in better shape then I am...we played golf on Saturday and I felt like a cripple by 8PM...Dad was ready for round 2 on Sunday. Between the beer and the sore muscles, I seriously was in bad shape. Needless to say, all of this lead to me being a pretty lazy cook.

I had great intentions for dinner tonight, but the cold rain got me down. Maybe the rain should get me down more often, because I whipped up a fab salad, sausage sandwiches and chocolate pudding pie. I know, I know...chocolate pudding pie?! I don't eat sweets! But this is a family fave that I got an uncontrollable craving for...it had to be done.

The sausage sandwiches were definitely not the star. I mean, I cut up a red and green pepper in strips, cut up an onion in strips and added a jar of sauce and a package of sausages...let it cook on low for 3 hours and dinner is done.

The salad on the other hand was pretty awesome, if I must say so myself. I constantly find myself in a 'salad rut'. Greek, Caesar, wedge...I mean, I'm not very original. But this one may have brought me out of the darkness.

Warm Goat Cheese Mixed Green Salad
1 log herbed goat cheese
2 eggs - beaten
1/2 c. bread crumbs (seasoned or unseasoned)
1 bag mixed greens
6-8 mushrooms - sliced
1 shallot (or 1/2 red onion) - sliced thin
3/4 c. dried cranberries
1 lemon
1 tsp. dijon mustard
2 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic - minced or grated
1/2 - 3/4 c. olive oil
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1/4 tsp. Borsari seasoned salt (recommendation from my fellow blogger Elizabeth Hardy)
fresh ground black pepper

Cut the goat cheese into 1/2 inch slices (the best way to cut is with dental floss). Dip into eggs then breadcrumbs. Place on plate and refrigerate until ready to use. Mix greens, mushrooms, shallot and cranberries in large salad bowl. For the dressing, mix the dijon, balsamic, garlic, oil, rosemary, seasoned salt and pepper. Let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.

When just about ready to eat, heat 3 Tbsp. oil over medium high heat. Place coated goat cheese in pan. Flip after 2 minutes. Place on top of salad. Serve immediately.

Chocolate Pudding Pie
1 pre-made pie crust (I used Pillsbury from the refrigerated section)
1 package of cook and serve chocolate pudding
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp. powdered sugar

Cook pie according to directions on package. Let cool. Cook pudding according to package. Pour pudding into cooled pie crust, reserving about 1/4-1/2 c. Place heavy whipping cream in chilled bowl (I put in the freezer for 30 mins). Add 2 tbsp. powdered sugar. Whip until stiff. Add in the remaining pudding and mix until incorporated. Top pie with whipped cream.


I feel like this meal got me back in the groove. But, my nemesis, boneless skinless chicken breast is defrosted in the fridge. That said, I need to get creative before tomorrow night. Maybe I will stuff them...maybe I will fry them...who knows...but you will! Check in tomorrow night!

Ahhhh....food therapy complete!

0 comments: