spoon

Recent Recipes

Hitler vs. Mussolini

0

Category :


So everyone knows that I am the epitome of WASP. I mean, my idea of a home cooked meal very rarely included anything involving pasta or red sauce. I was definitely more in the camp of meat and potatoes...Hitler would have been proud, but, I married a Mussolini, so I had to catch on quick.

Most cooking has come pretty naturally to me, but Italian proved to be a challenge. My husband will admit that I have earned my strips when it comes to Auntie's meatballs (recipe to be released at a later date...if approved), baked ziti and lasagna, but my first batch of eggplant parm was a disaster. "The eggplant is too thick", "my Mom used to peel the eggplant", "my Aunt's wasn't this soggy"...yeah, ummm...one piece of constructive criticism would've been enough...thanks.

So this time I sucked up my Berlin Wall loving pride and called my mother-in-law for some tricks...the result...perfectly delicious eggplant parm...

Eggplant Parmesan
1 eggplant
sea salt
2 large eggs
2 c. Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
Vegetable oil
1 ball fresh mozzarella
1 jar marinara sauce (I used a jar from Trader Joe's and added in garlic powder, salt, pepper and parm cheese)

Trick
- 1 day before preparing the eggplant parm, slice the eggplant into 1/2" slices. Place a layer of paper towels onto a cookie sheet then place sliced eggplant on top. Sprinkle generously with sea salt. This will release the water and dry out the eggplant. Place paper towels on top. Let sit overnight. On the counter top is fine...they do not need to go in the fridge.

Day of cooking
- Place shallow pan on stove over medium - medium high heat. Meanwhile, place 2 eggs in shallow bowl and 1 1/2 - 2 c. of seasoned bread crumbs in another shallow dish. Coat shallow pan with 1/4 in. vegetable oil. Turn on oven broiler to high.

Dip eggplant in egg then breadcrumbs. Place in hot oil. Let cook 1-2 minutes/side until golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan and place on plate covered in paper towels. Return to baking sheet. When all pieces are cooked top with grated mozzarella cheese. Place in oven until cheese is melted. Top with sauce and serve.

I served this eggplant parm with a side salad topped with onions, fresh mushrooms, celery and dressing of your choice.

It only took 5 years of being together for me to earn my honorary Italian card. I wish for none of my friends and followers to have to wait this long. Use this trick and you are sure to make a crispy and tasty eggplant parm that the most devout Italian will enjoy. Matt said that this gave him the same satisfaction as pasta with none of the carbs...totally worth it!

Ahhhh...food therapy complete.

0 comments: