spoon

Recent Recipes

PA Dutch!

0

Category : , ,



I don't know about all of you, but pork and sauerkraut was a staple on New Years Day in my house. Just like I don't think that you should reserve roast turkey for only Thanksgiving, I definitely don't think that pork and sauerkraut should be limited to a day when most people are so hung over that the thought of vinegar flavored cabbage makes them sick. However, I do find this meal to be polarizing...people either love it or hate it. Matt, for example, was quite quick to say that he was not a fan...that was until he tried my super simple recipe.

I mean, this recipe is so simple, it's almost criminal.

Pork Roast w/ Sauerkraut
1 - 3 lb. pork roast
1 bag of sauerkraut (do not use the can stuff!)
salt
pepper
garlic powder

Place garlic powder in crock pot. Sprinkle roast generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Place roast on top of sauerkraut in crock pot. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.

Mashed Potatoes
5 russet potatoes
1/2 stick salted butter
1 Tbsp. cream cheese
2 Tbsp. sour cream
salt
pepper

Peel potatoes and cut into even size cubes. Place potatoes in a pot of salted, cold water. Bring water to a boil. Cook for 10-20 mins (pierce with fork to check for doneness) and drain. Return to pot. Add butter, cream cheese, sour cream and salt and pepper to taste. Use potato masher or beater to mix to desired texture.

I served this with a cold broccoli salad. It is sweet, salty and super yummy. A very nice change from the standard salad selection.

Broccoli Salad
2 bunches broccoli tops
10-12 slices of bacon (cut into bits and browned)
2/3 c. raisins (I do not like raisins so I excluded them)
1/3-1/2 c. finely diced onion
1 c. mayo
1/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. vinegar (I used balsamic to increase the sweetness)

Trim broccoli to size of your liking...I cut to bite-size pieces. Mix vinegar and sugar until sugar is mostly dissolved. Mix in bacon, raisins (if using) and onion until incorporated. Add broccoli. Refrigerate at least 2-3 hours to overnight.

This meal was a nice change and a great meal on a cold Sunday night. I have to say that I am definitely ready for spring so I hope that this is the last time that I eat this meal until 1/1/11, but it certainly is a great crock-pot meal.

0 comments: